Monday, January 28, 2008

Final Departure


19 Jan 2008:- Jogging through my normal path, Daily I noticed two old couples sitting on a stone near by and they lady massaging the knees of the old man.
I duno why but today I felt that something’s wrong and out of curiosity and courtesy I just went to them and asked if everything was alright?
Good morning Son! The old man replied putting me to shame that I forgot to greet him.Anyvys, that was not important then and the old man with loads of dignity said that “He was alright”.

Many a times just to trigger that chat we end up digging grave for ourselves I did the same and at morning 6:00 AM I asked him Are you folks out for jogging but then I was quick to control my slip I said meant Do you guys jog daily?
Again with lot of Pride the old man narrated his entire route and how he gets up and walks non stop, the old lady didn’t say a word and kept massaging his knees.
Do you live alone? I don’t know why but I was getting curious and firing questions like Derek’O Brien (Bournvita Quiz contest‘s Host)

He didn’t answer me this time, the dignity on his face was gonee.Old lady also looked up at me as if I have insulted his husband. I had to control the situation and I said Sorry Sir!

Actually I didn’t mean that sorry it but just wanted to get out of that situation.

(Sometimes when there’s a storm of emotions building inside, a small question from even a stranger can lead to outburst)
But then the old man spoke, I am suffering from
PARAPARESIS and the doctor says that if I don’t exercise my knees regularly I wont be able to walk and might be paralysed.Whole my life I spent working to make both ends meet for my family. Walking/Jogging is not something new for me. You folks do it in the morning listening to music and we did for 18 Hrs a day listening to sound of machines and cranes. But now I am old and walking 100 meters also takes a toll on my body. And I struggle daily with morning walk but can’t do without it and she takes me daily and massages my knees every 100-200 meters so that I exercise my leg and save me for Paralysis.

Ido have a son, Senior Project Manager in a MNC; I see that lost spark again on his face. He is a fitness freak, goes daily with our daughter in law to the joggers park. If we go along with him it will affect his schedule and fitness as his time would be wasted taking care of we oldies. Although he insists daily but we don’t. And you know right from the day he was born we have ensured that he doesn’t miss anything which kids around him have.So,we can’t let him miss his fitness schedule and moreover I would never want him to end up his like his dad. So, I let him practice alone.
We live in a separate Old Age home which my son hand picked for me just to ensure that I get best of service and support. What more can we ask for?

He spoke continuosly, in a monotonous tone sweat rolling down his forehead.

I
could easily figure out the real story and I had nothing to say coz I knew in such situations my brains don’t work and I end up messing things, so I kept quiet.

With these words the old man gets up and pats me on my shoulder, And says its good that you jog from this age, and you are keeping your body used to all this. Who knows what in store for the Next Gen.?
As I start to walk by, I hear him say “Beta Do You see that Bike’s rear back view mirror? I said Yes Sir!”

For you it’s a normal bike accessory for us
it’s the way of looking at life/its our way to look at our son/at our happiness/at our grandchildren and most important our END…FINAL DEPARTURE and they walk away.

I felt bad for him and thought that he’s gone out of his mind as couldn’t get his last words(Rear Back View Mirror and all...) but as I drew closer to the bike’s rear back view mirror his words started making sense to me






“Objects in mirror are closer than they Appear.”

28 Jan’2008: I haven’t seen that old couple for last few weeks, everytime I pass by that stone or look at the “Rear Back View Mirror” of a bike. I ask myself that has he met the Final object which he always saw in the mirror. What about that old lady, How would she live alone? Did his kids even attend the last rites?
Sometimes,we pray to God to prove us wrong.Oh God! Prove me wrong and I hope that tomorrow when I get up and go jogging I see them there, would let you people know if it happens.

3 comments:

titto said...

Kyool, :)

Anonymous said...

This is an issue since a very long time i believe. The younger generation does have the time nor the patience to care for the old. It is a sort of rat race competetion where one races through life without living a single moment. As the saying goes "You dont realise the worth of a thing untill you dont have it" sounds apt here.
Its better each one realises the value of people around him and care for them. The sooner the better. You never know what will happen next. Its better to realise the value when the person is alive rather than brooding over when he/she is gone.

Subash

Anonymous said...

amazing piece of writing.. but this is wat the kids of tdays generation are doing.. parents bring there kids up with so much of hardwork jus to c there kids leaving them wen they need them the most..